Our History

In 1957, Kuhlman Electric supported Jay G. Gates as he established the Jay G. Gates Company, a representative firm to serve the electric utility market.  Jay was a Regional Sales Manager with Kuhlman and represented them in southern Ohio and Kentucky.  John Commons joined the firm in 1972 and worked under Jay for 11 years before purchasing the company in 1983.  In May, 1989, the Jay G. Gates Company changed its name to ELUS Company.  In July 2013, John Commons entered into an agreement to sell ELUS to the employees, thus ELUS is transitioning to a 100% employee owned company.